1. We agree to respect our selves.
I will look after my body, heart, and whole self. That means dressing for the weather, paying attention to my body's cues, and speaking up if I need help.
2. We agree to respect others.
I will look after other people. That means considering the impact of my words and actions on the group, and always looking for ways to help the people around me.
3. We agree to respect the environment.
I will look after the Earth and the living things that depend on it. That means taking care of my belongings, asking before taking from people or the land, and considering the impact of my actions. I will try to do better than leave no trace and give back to the environment that supports me.
We suggest that campers arrive with sneakers or rubber boots, layers, and warm socks on. In a backpack they are comfortable wearing all day, they should have:
- one pair of extra socks and two plastic bags (in case of soakers!)
- a low-garbage lunch and/or snacks (No nuts please)
- at least 750mL of water, juice, or a hot drink
- OPTIONAL: a full change of clothing, just in case (this can be stored in an instructor's car for the day)
- either a fixed-blade and sheathed whittling knife or a locking folding knife (by invitation of instructors only)
If any of the necessary items are unmanageable, please speak with an instructor and they'll help you out!
Your child is invited to bring any tools for engaging with the outdoors, such as binoculars, a net, or cool nature specimens. Please leave any electronics, toys, or very precious belongings or clothing at home. It will almost certainly become wet, dirty, and covered in porcupine pee.